Looking for the room for International students

The Procedure from looking for a room to the move-in

It is the first time for you to find the room in the foreign country.
You might be often puzzled in various ways. We do support your room-finding with every effort.

the following each step, then its contents are displayed.

  • Step 1 Contact with Hokkaido University Co-op Room Guide

    First, please contact with us through the E-mail Address below.
    We also have staff who can speak English and Chinese to service you.
    E-mail: guide@coop.hokudai.ac.jp

    the exterior of the Clark Hall, the entrance of the Room Guide
  • Step 2 Introduce the room

    Hokkaido University Co-op Room Guide manages various property information. If you tell us your desired conditions about the room you want such as “Budget”, “Area you want to live in”, “Layout” and etc., we will pick up some rooms that meet your wishes.
    If you have a lot of requirements, you may have fewer room choices, but you should be as accurate as possible in telling your wishes as you can rent your favorite room.
    Depending on the property, you may not be able to move in immediately, so please be aware to check the available dates moving in before signing the contract.

  • Step 3 Guarantee company contract

    In Japan, it is common to contract with the Guarantee company when renting a room.
    The application of the Guarantee company is accepted by Hokkaido University Co-op Room Guide together with the room search.
    And it will take 1~2 weeks to complete the application process, including the room insurance. Please note that even if you decide on a room, you will not be able to move in immediately.
    The Room Guide will contact you once the Guarantee company approves your application, and then we will proceed with the contract procedure for the room.

  • Step 4 Room contract

    When you find a room you like, it is finally time to sign a contract.
    Contract documents will be sent to you by mail. Explanations of important contract matters could be handled online using Zoom.
    In Japan, initial costs such as “Deposit”, “Rent fee in advanced”, “Management fee” and etc. will be required at the beginning when renting a room. And, it is also common to put a “stamp” on the documents. If you have your own seal, please use it when signing the contract, and if not, it is fine to sign on the documents.
    When signing the contract, please check the detailed matters carefully. NG items differ depending on the property, such as “Cannot live together with others”, “Not allowed for musical instruments and pets” and etc.

  • Step 5 Many Things to Do!

    Finally, the contract procedure is completed. The next step is the preparation of your moving.

    First tell the owner your hope date and time for take the room key. It will not become as you requested if you do not tell beforehand. The owner will explain about the building facilities, so you must come with a friend who can understand Japanese. For using the electricity, gas and water you need to make a contract basically. Therefore, please do not forget to make a phone call to each company.

    When a manager and an owner live near you, it is a good thought if you say hello and inform that you have moved in. If you build a good relationship with them, it might become easier to ask a favor in case of some trouble.

About the money that is necessary at the time of the contract
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Q1 What is "the deposit"?

It is like a security money when you borrow a room. The deposit would be refunded at the time of your leaving. Usually it is the same price as the rent fee of one month or two months. It might not be refunded by the nonpayment of rent and the cancellation penalty fee or the damage of the room.

Q2 What is “the previous rent fee”?

It is the first rent that you pay at the time of a contract. In Japan, it is common to pay the rent for the next month in advance. In some case, the rent may become the daily rate. Please check the contract details.

Q3 What is “the maintenance fee”?

It is the expense for the maintenance and management of the common areas, such as elevators, stairs, hall. It is necessary to pay it with the monthly rent. It usually cost approximately 1,000yen to 6,000yen. Sometimes it is included in the rent fee.

What should I do?
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Because of the difference of customs from your mother country, various troubles may happen. Below we will introduce the frequently asked questions and the occurred troubles often the international students.

Q1 Rules to throw away the garbage

In Japan, as you know, the garbage are classified into “FREE garbage” and “PAY garbage”, also “burnable” and “unburnable” and “recycling”. The rule is defined that the garbage should be classified finely. The place, the date and time is different according to the area you live in. Please check it as soon as you move in.

Check the details at website of Sapporo City.

Q2 What kind of sounds should I pay attention to?

The most often occurred trouble is the noise. The daily life noise resonates more than you thought. Please consider your neighbors when you watch the TV and when you invite your friends to your place. Of course it is not good playing the instruments and making big noises in your room. (voices, party, washing, bathing…)

Q3 Is it OK that I live together with my friend in my room?

You must not live with someone if you have registered that you live alone in your room in the contract. It means that you have violated the contract if you live with someone without the permission of the owner. In this case, the contract might be canceled by the owner or you might be made to leave forcibly. If you want to live with someone, first you have to confirm to the owner. Of course OIA also, because of the matter of the guarantor.

Q4 May I let my friend use my room while I am absent?

It is the breach of the contract. Lease contract is made up by the trust relationship between the owner and you. It is also not permitted to rent a room instead of your friend.

Q5 How and when can I pay the rent every month?

It is written in the contract document. The owner will notify the guarantor when you failed to pay several times or when you do not pay for months. It develop into a big problem.

Q6 May I remodel my room?

It is defined in the lease contract of Japan that a tenant have the obligation to restore when move out. It means you have to return the room to the owner in the same condition as you start to live in. You may not remodel the room to your taste without the permission of the owner.

Q7 When term of the contract is two years, must I stay for two years?

Basically, the contract period is for two years, but you can move out during the two years.

In this case, the owner require you to pay the penalty fee of the cancelation in the contract period. The penalty fee is same as the rent fee of one month or two months, or same as the deposit. If the deposit is including in the contract money, it would be counterbalanced.

Q8 I want to cancel (move out) the apartment. What should I do?

You have to inform the owner about your cancellation one month before your moving out. You have to pay the additional charge if you forgot to inform the owner. In addition, the limit of time for informing the owner is different according to the contract, so you had better to check your contract document.

Please do not hesitate to ask us anything you do not understand.